- On July 5, 2016
BDC, Investment Intentions of Canadian Entrepreneurs, January 2016:
- Small and medium-sized businesses (SMEs) plan to invest $111 billion in 2016.
- 77% invest to support growth.
- Ontario leads in small business investment intentions – $44 billion.
- Majority of small businesses are focusing on workforce development &
Innovation, Science, and Economic Development Canada, Key Small Business Statistics, June 2016:
- Of the 1.17 million employer businesses in Canada, 1.14 million (97.9%) are
- 407,175 of these small businesses are in Ontario.
Private sector employed over 11.6 million people, of which 70.5% are employed
by small business firms.
- The significance of small business firms in net job creation is 87.7%.
- Small businesses, defined as fewer than 50 employees, contribute 30% of GDP.
- Small business employs over 8.2 million individuals in Canada, 70.5% of the total
private labour force.
RBC Economics, Q&A on the State of SMEs in Canada, September 2014:
- SMEs employ 8 million Canadians, representing 54% of payroll.
- Small businesses weather economic downturns best.
- SMEs weathered last recession well – largely owing to the resilience of small businesses with new start-up firms outpacing exits.
CFIB, Small Business Profile, 2015:
- 15% of Canadians are self-employed.
- Micro-enterprises (fewer than 5 people) represent 2/3 of the 1.1 million private
- 1 in 3 people own or work in a small business.
Town of Caledon, Economic Development:
- There are 2,666 registered small businesses in Caledon with annual revenues exceeding $30,000 (December 2015).
Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC), Entrepreneurs First. Investment Intentions of Canadian Entrepreneurs: An Outlook for 2016. January 2016. Accessed via: https://www.bdc.ca/en/about/sme_research/pages/investment-intentions-canadianentrepreneurs-outlook-2016.aspx.
Innovation, Science, and Economic Development Canada, Small Business Branch. Key Small Business Statistics. June 2016. Accessed via: https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/061.nsf/vwapj/KSBS-PSRPE_June-Juin_2016_eng.pdf/$FILE/KSBS-PSRPE_June-Juin_2016_eng.pdf.
Royal Bank of Canada Economics Research. Q&A on the State of SMEs in Canada. September 30, 2014. Accessed via: http://www.rbc.com/economics/economicreports/pdf/other-reports/QA_SMEs.pdf.
Canadian Federation of Independent Business, Economics. Small Business Profile – A look at small business and the self-employed in Canada. 2015. Accessed via: http://www.cfib-fcei.ca/cfib-documents/rr3396.pdf.